CCEA approves continuation of Capacity Development Scheme
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved continuation of Capacity Development Scheme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20. It is ongoing Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI).
Capacity Development Scheme
Its objective is to augment infrastructural, technical as well as manpower resources for making available credible and timely official statistics for policy makers and public at large.
Two Sub-schemes under it
- Economic Census: It includes listing of all non-agricultural establishments is undertaken periodically, which forms the basis for conducting detailed socio-economic surveys. The last (6l) Economic Census was conducted during January 2013 to April 2014. Government is now aiming to conduct this census once every three years in future.
- Support for Statistical Strengthening (SSS): It seeks to strengthen State and sub-State level statistical systems and infrastructure to facilitate development of robust national system. Under it, funds are released to States and UTs after detailed examination of their proposals.
Major ongoing activities carried out under this scheme
- Augmenting resources for bringing out important statistical products such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), Consumer Price Index (CPI), Index of Industrial Production (IIP), Statistical classifications, etc.
- Conducting various Socio-Economic surveys, capacity building and strengthening statistical coordination and improving Information Technology (IT) infrastructure.
- Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS), a continuous survey to assess quarterly labour data in urban areas and annual labour data for the whole country (urban and rural areas).
- Three new surveys Time Use Survey (TUS), Annual Survey of Service Sector Enterprises (ASSSE), and Annual Survey of Unincorporated Sector Enterprises (ASUSE) will be also undertaken for better statistical coverage of sectors/areas.