In News : The Minister of State for Education will attend a consultation meeting of Education Ministers of E9 countries called the E9 Initiative.
- Theme of the Meeting: “E9 initiative: Scaling up digital learning to accelerate progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 4”
- This consultation meeting will be the 1st of the 3 phase process to co-create a Digital Learning initiative. Marginalized children and youth, especially girls, would be the target population.
- The initiative will focus on three of the 2020 Global Education Meeting priorities namely: (i) support to teachers; (ii) investment in skills and (iii) narrowing of the digital divide.
- The initiative will also aim to accelerate recovery and advance the Sustainable Development Goal 4 agenda by driving rapid change in education systems.
- Launched in: 1993 at the UNESCO’s Education For All (EFA) Summit in New Delhi.
- Member Countries: The United Nations is spearheading the initiative with nine countries namely Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Nigeria, and Pakistan.
- Significance: E-9 Initiative has become a forum for the countries to discuss their experiences related to education, exchange best practices, and monitor EFA-related progress.
- Purpose: The E9 forum aims to achieve the goals of UNESCO’s Education For All(EFA) initiative. It strengthens political will and collective effort to ensure quality education and lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- The forum represents over half of the world’s population and 70% of the world’s illiterate adults.