Minister of State for Defence Ajay Bhatt introduced the Essential Defence Services Bill in the Lok Sabha.
Essential Defence Services
The Essential Defence Services Bill aims at preventing the staff of the government-owned ordnance factories from going on strike or any form of agitation. The factories form an integrated base for the indigenous production of defence hardware and equipment.
- It includes any service in any establishment or undertaking dealing with production of goods or equipment required for defence related purposes or any establishment of the armed forces or connected with them or defence.
- It also includes services that, if ceased, would affect the safety of the establishment engaged in such services or its employees.
- In addition, the government may declare any service as an essential defence service if its cessation would affect the:
- Production of defence equipment or goods.
- Operation or maintenance of industrial establishments or units engaged in such production.
- Repair or maintenance of products connected with defence.