The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of 1023 Fast Track Special Court (FTSCs) including 389 exclusive POCSO Courts as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) from 01.04.2021 to 31.03.2023 with an outlay of Rs. 1572.86 crore (Rs.971.70 crore as Central Share and Rs.601.16 crore as State share).
Fast Track Special Courts
- Fast Track Special Courts are dedicated courts expected to ensure swift dispensation of justice.
- They have a better clearance rate as compared to the regular courts and hold speedy trials.
- Besides providing quick justice to the hapless victims, it strengthens the deterrence framework for sexual offenders.
- Central Share is to be funded from Nirbhaya Fund. The Scheme was launched on 02.10.2019.
- To bring more stringent provisions and expeditious trial and disposal of such cases, the Central Government enacted “The Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2018”.
- It made provision of stringent punishment including the death penalty for perpetrators of rape.
- This led to the establishment of the Fast Track Special Courts (FTSCs).
- Further the commitment of the Nation to champion the cause of safety and security of women and girl child.
- Reduce the number of pending cases of Rape & POCSO Act.
- Provide speedy access to justice to the victims of sexual crimes and act as a deterrent for sexual offenders.
- Fastracking of these cases will declog the judicial system of the burden of case pendency.