The Supreme Court directed all states and UTs to implement the One Nation, One Ration Card (ONORC) system, which allows for inter-and intra-state portability, by July 31.
What is the one ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ system?
- Existing ration cards will be turned as one nation one ration card.
- It will be a universal ration card allotted to each beneficiary registered under NFSA.
- Using the ONORC, a beneficiary who migrates from one place to another can buy subsidized food grains from the fair price shop located in the destination city regardless of the origin of the beneficiaries.
- The beneficiaries will be identified through biometric authentication on electronic Point of Sale (ePoS) devices. These devices will be installed at each fair price shop.
- The national portability will work using the:
- Integrated Management of Public Distribution System (IM-PDS) portal – It will provide the technological platform for the ration cards portability.
- Annavitran portal – It will host the data of the food grains distribution through ePoS devices within a state. This will help a beneficiary to access subsidized food grains within a state (inter-district.)
- Aadhar Cards will be seeded with ration cards which will help beneficiaries get the ration using the same ration card.
How does ONORC work?
- ONORC is based on technology that involves details of beneficiaries’ ration card, Aadhaar number, and electronic Points of Sale (ePoS).
- The system identifies a beneficiary through biometric authentication on ePoS devices at fair price shops.
- The system runs with the support of two portals —Integrated Management of Public Distribution System (IM-PDS) (impds.nic.in) and Annavitran (annavitran.nic.in), which host all the relevant data.
- When a ration card holder goes to a fair price shop, he or she identifies himself or herself through biometric authentication on ePoS, which is matched real time with details on the Annavitaran portal.
- Once the ration card details are verified, the dealer hands out the beneficiary’s entitlements.
- While the Annavitaran portal maintains a record of intra-state transactions — inter-district and intra-district — the IM-PDS portal records the inter-state transactions.
Benefits of the ONORC
The major benefit of the One Nation One Ration Card is as follows:
- Those agile of the ONORC will receive subsidised food grain from any Fair Price Shop in the country, immensely benefitting migrants staying in different parts of the country.
- With the ONORC, all the beneficiaries in one state can get the same fair rations in other states where the ration card was issued.
- In case of any foul play, a beneficiary can switch to an alternative FPS almost immediately.
- The scheme will be of benefit to women and other poorer sections of the society since social identity will be a strong factor in accessing PDS.
- The ONORC will help in achieving the target of eliminating hunger by 2030, given the fact that it has been ranked 102 out of 17 in the Global Hunger Index.