Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched ‘SonChiraiya’ – (A brand and logo)- for marketing of urban Self-Help Group (SHG) products.
- This brand and logo was launched in line with government’s priority area of helping women to become financially empowered and live a dignified life.
- On the occasion, ministry noted that, Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) launched under the aegis of MoHUA has been focussing on equipping the urban poor women with adequate skills and opportunities in order to enable them to promote sustainable micro enterprises.
- DAY-NULM mobilises women from urban poor households to from and join SHGs & their federations in order to create a support system for them.
- MoHUA highlighted that, more than 5.7 lakh SHGs have been formed across states/UTs comprising of 60 lakh members.
- This initiative is a significant step of increasing visibility and global access for the products made by urban SHG women. Under the initiative, variety of professionally packaged and hand-crafted ethnic products will reach to the doorsteps of the customers worldwide.
- Most of the SHGs are engaged in livelihood activities and are producing goods like handicrafts, textiles, toys, eatables etc. These products were being sold primarily in the local neighbourhood markets as a result of which they faced barriers in achieving a wide market access and visibility.
- To overcome the challenges of visibility and market access, the MoHUA, have signed agreement with leading e-commerce portals like Amazon and Flipkart to empower the women. This partnership has on-boarded more than 2000 products of some 5000 SHG members from 25 states and UTs, even during the covid-19 pandemic.