NITI Aayog and World Resources Institute (WRI), India, jointly launched the ‘Forum for Decarbonizing Transport’ in India as part of the NDC-Transport Initiative for Asia (NDC-TIA).
Transport Initiative for Asia
- The NDC Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA 2020-2023) is a joint programme that will engage China, India, and Vietnam in promoting a comprehensive approach to decarbonizing transport in their respective countries.
- The project is part of the International Climate Initiative (IKI).
- NITI Aayog is the implementing partner for the India component of the project.
- The project aims at bringing down the peak level of GHG emissions (transport sector) in Asia (in line with a well below 2-degree pathway), resulting in problems like congestion and air pollution.
- It is a joint programme, supported by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
- It is implemented by a consortium of seven organisations.
- The India component is implemented by six consortium organisations. On behalf of the Government of India, NITI Aayog, is the implementing partner.
- Focus: The NDC–TIA India Component will focus on:
- Strengthening GreenHouse Gas (GHG) and transport modelling capacities.
- Providing technical support on GHG emission reduction measures.
- Financing climate actions in transport.
- Offering policy recommendations on electric vehicle (EV) demand and supply policies etc.
- The programme will help to promote electric mobility in India.
- It will also support the development of policies and regulations to promote electric vehicle charging infrastructure.